Tuesday 15 May 2012

D-Blog Week: Day 2 - One Great Thing



I have been thinking about this topic for a while now and it is harder than expected.  I was only diagnosed 8 months ago and am learning so much every day about managing this disease.  I expect that will continue every day forever!  There are some things I am pretty good at.  I am good at checking my blood sugars often, I always have things on hand to treat lows, I eat incredibly healthy and exercise everyday. But these are things I am pretty good at, not great at.  There is always room for improvement!

I asked my best friend what she thought I was great at when it comes to my diabetes.  Without a pause she said that I am great at being positive and determined....and I think she is right.  Don't get me wrong, I have cried with the best of them, I have stomped my feet and thrown my hands in the air in despair.  However most of the time I keep my chin up.  I know that there is nothing I can do about having this disease, so each day I vow to respect it and do whatever I can to manage it.  I remind myself often that things could be much worse - I could live somewhere where I would not have the access to the medical supplies I have, the education and support system.  I can still run, swim, bike, play with my nieces and nephews, I can work and I can laugh a lot.  In fact I am more determined than ever to enjoy my life and be the best I can be (wow that sounded like some sort of commercial for the army).  I guess I have always been a glass half full type of gal and having diabetes has not changed that.

So yes, that is what I am good at.  Keeping positive and very determined!

Here is my picture of the day that makes me smile.  I went to Mexico two years ago with my brother, his wife and my darling nephew Logan (he was one in this picture).  I had just come through a really bad year with the break-up of my marriage and on this holiday I learned to love life again.  




1 comment:

  1. Being positive is a great thing to be great at!

    ReplyDelete