The obvious change I would like to see is for Diabetes to disappear overnight, never to return. That would be my ultimate dream come true. Since that is unlikely I had to think hard about what bothers me most and how I would like to see it change.
I would like to change peoples perceptions and attitudes towards the disease. On that note, here are the top things I would love to never hear again:
- Are you sure you have Type 1 diabetes? Weren't you a bit old to get that?
- Is it because you ate too much sugar?
- Sorry, I would offer you a piece of this but I know you can't eat it.
- Can you eat that?
- So does that mean you can never eat sugar again?
- So your insulin pump must be great, does everything for you!
- Did you hear that eating lots of cinnamon might cure you?
- My friend's aunt had her leg amputated and went blind because of Type 1 diabetes, you need to be careful.
- Does that mean you can't have kids?
- I read about cleanses you can do that will cure you.
- You make it look easy, it must not be too serious.
- You must have the bad kind if you need to use needles.
- I could never be diabetic, I am scared of needles and hate blood.
There are so many misconceptions about Type 1 diabetes and it is extremely frustrating. I think that as people living with the disease, we often try to hide how serious it really is. It is hard to admit sometimes, but this disease is very serious and we are all responsible 24 hours a day, every day, to keep ourselves alive. It never gives us a break and is always at the front of our thoughts.
Change is definitely needed!