Monday 12 May 2014

D-Blog Week: Day 1 - Change the World



Today’s topic is Change the World.  Let’s kick off Diabetes Blog Week by talking about the diabetes causes and issues that really get us fired up. Are you passionate about 504 plans and school safety? Do diabetes misconceptions irk you? Do you fight for CGM coverage for Medicare patients, SDP funding, or test strip accuracy? Do you work hard at creating diabetes connections and bringing support? Whether or not you “formally” advocate for any cause, share the issues that are important to you. 

What better way to get back into the blogging groove than participating in this years DBlogWeek?  I have been missing in action for too long and am itching to get back to writing.  So, lets get to it!

There a few things I have done to advocate for diabetes awareness.  I have walked in the JDRF walk and also volunteered as a panelist with a group of teenage girls discussing issues faced as a young woman with diabetes. I would like to do more however, much much more!

The thing I would say that I am most passionate about when it comes to diabetes is educating others about the disease.  Nearly 100% of this is done through daily encounters with co-workers, friends and family.  Often it is not intentional - however the lack of knowledge in general often makes me open my mouth.  I love having the opportunity to dismiss myths and to educate. Sometimes statements or comments can spark a bit of a fire in my belly and I cannot help but speak up.  I also have the pleasure of training with some wonderful ladies and they are always interested to hear about managing diabetes while being active.

One thing I would like to do more of is talk about my experiences with running, swimming and biking while managing diabetes.  I found the first couple of years as a diabetic extremely frustrating as I had no idea how to manage sugars while trying to do long distance training.  Through the help of the DOC and a lot of trial and error, I am much more confident.  I guess one way I can do this is by blogging more!

I want to thank all of you bloggers out there for being such an amazing support network.  Each day I read stories and feel like I really belong to a fantastic community.

2 comments:

  1. And thank you for being a big part of that support network too - and for all you do!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karen! That means a lot - you are one of my favorite bloggers and I look up to you :)

      Delete