Thursday 11 October 2012


Last week I had to go and have a Gastroscopy in order that they could take a biopsy of my upper intestine to see what damage has been done by having celiac.  Now I will be the first to admit that I am not good with hospitals (who is?) and am terrified of needles (really handy for a diabetic) and particularly IV's!  The night before I tried to sleep but was really nervous.  I had to fast for 10 hours and arrived at the hospital hungry and with a bit of higher than normal fasting blood sugar due to my nerves.  On arrival they had me change into one of those god awful hospital gowns and settled me in a bed.  I was happy when they brought over one of their heated blankets and wrapped me up nice and warm.  The nurse took all my vitals and blood sugar and got me ready to have my IV inserted.  I warned her that I was not very good at this and had been known to pass out while having IV's put in.  She was so gentle and talked to me about miscellaneous things.  A quick pinch and it was done.  I felt so relieved.  I could feel the cool saline solution running down into my bloodstream.

The nurse then proceeded to tell me what the doctor would be doing.  I really wish that they would not have to do this as it makes me even more nervous.  She explained that the surgeon would spray my throat with a numbing spray and warned me that it would taste awful.  They would then put a piece of hollow plastic in my mouth to stop me from biting down. I would be given a strong sedative that would not put me to sleep however I would be pretty out it.  They would then feed a long tube with a camera on it down my throat where they would take a look around and take a biopsy.  It would only take about 15 minutes and they would let me sleep for about 45 minutes afterwards before getting me up.  I kept picturing a tiny little video camera going down my throat into my tummy and it made me giggle.

I lay in bed for awhile watching all of the other folks in for day surgery and I was soon taken into the procedure room.  The surgeon sprayed my throat and I gagged a bit.  They were not kidding when they said it would taste awful!  Next they put a big green hollow piece of plastic in my mouth which was held in place by straps around my head.  It felt so weird!  The surgeon then put some sedative in my IV and it stung once it hit my veins.  The nurse asked if I was sleepy and I kept telling her I was not and then all of a sudden everything was kind of blurry and my body felt numb.  It was lovely.  I felt the tube go down my throat which felt very strange indeed.  I think I totally blanked out after that as the next thing I know the nurse was waking me up back in the recovery room.  She said everything went fine and she made me sit up and drink a glass of water.  She told me I would hear from them in the next four weeks or so and that was it.  I felt very fuzzy and when Ryan came to get me I was feeling very smiley and almost drunk.  I got home and had a nap for about three hours and then relaxed most of the day as instructed.  My stomach felt bloated and my throat was a bit sore, but by the next morning I felt normal.  I guess there really was nothing to get so worked up about after all!

1 comment:

  1. Ugh! I hate hospitals, and needles too! Being on MDI's has helped but I'm still not a huge fan!

    Hope you receive the results you are wishing for!! :)