Friday 28 September 2012

My Pump Has Arrived!

When the box arrived at my work from Animas I felt a wave of emotion.  I opened up the box eagerly and peered inside to see an entire new world of medical supplies.  I opened the box with my pump and there she was, nestled in the package all shiny and brand new.  It is hard to describe the excitement I felt (and feel).  I have wanted this since being diagnosed.  It represents so much to me.  The ability to live with a bit more freedom.  I look forward to eating on my own schedule, being able to sleep in on a weekend without so much worry and mostly being able to exercise with a bit more peace of mind and confidence.  I can't wait to start planning my next marathon and then seriously start exploring triathlons.  Lets be honest, I am really looking forward to not having to stab myself with needles 4-8 times a day.  I know that the highs will still happen and certainly the lows, but I just know it is going to make me happier.

Holding my pump in my hand also filled me with fear.  This little machine will be responsible for keeping me alive each and every day.  That is a fact.  I have never really thought of it in that way until now.  I am the operator that must place the commands and trust that it will follow my direction.  I have so much to learn and not a lot of room for error.  I have a million questions and am eager to learn all I can to utilize this to its max.

My little silver pump mostly represents hope.  The hope that I can slow down the complications I already have and the hope that I can prevent others.  The hope that I can be the athlete I want to be and prove to myself that I can do this.  I think it also represents hope for all of us living with diabetes, the hope that a cure may come one day.  If you look at how far the treatment of diabetes has come maybe this is possible.

For now I shall read my manual and learn what I can about my new pump.  She is about to become my best and most trusted friend.  One month until go time!

8 comments:

  1. Yay! What an exciting day!

    Be patient as you first get connected. It can take some time (and work) to get everything dialed in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Scott! I will do my best to be patient! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a brave new world. I was scared and unsure when I started too. I'd never go back to MDI now. I'm guessing you won't either. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just found your blog today, thanks for keeping it up. I am also a diabetic, and a celiac, and an Albertan, and it feels good to hear your story. It makes me feel like I'm not alone.

    AND congrats on the pump! I remember hating mine when I first got it. I didn't like the idea of being "part robotic" and having it on me at all times. I didn't like the feeling of being dependent on a machine. One of my friends suggested I gave it a name so I wouldn't feel no negatively towards it. Haha. Silly, but it worked!

    And now it's been 3 years on the pump, and it is so much better than needles. So worth it. Not perfect, but way better. So yes, be patient.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on the new pump! Remember that you (we) always need little adjustments. That's. My only advice. Oh, and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I just found your blog tonight & have read every entry. I'm not diabetic but my daughter was diagnosed in Feb 2012 at the age of 8. She is also Celiac (diagnosed with that at age 5). I applaud you for the care and attention that you have given your disease. I am looking forward to reading all about your experiences with the pump!!
    Brandy in Hinton

    ReplyDelete
  7. I could cry I'm so jealous! I was diagnosed when I was 15 (nearly 5 years ago), and I've struggled endlessly. I've only just started testing regularly, and although I've always taken my insulin, I'm starting to finally feel like I have my disease under control. I even was on a MedTronic pump for a little over a year, but - silly me - I hated the teasing I got for being 'part robotic' and I stopped using it. My brother then started using it and now it's broken, so we're both on injections. When I started researching pumps again, I decided that I want the One Touch Ping, but I'm waiting to see if my husband's insurance covers any of it because, unfortunately, if it doesn't I'll have to stay on injections. :( So happy for you though.

    http://becoming-we.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a coincidence! I have exactly the same model as yours. Did I hear someone mentioned Amazon? I got mine as a present; don't know where my aunt got it but I've been really thankful. This little device is a lifesaver.

    Actos, a popular drug among diabetic patients is on the limelight. Have you been prescribed with Actos? Scary thoughts and actos lawsuit.

    ReplyDelete