Wednesday 8 August 2012

The Diabetic Roller-Coaster


Yesterday was comparable to being on a roller-coaster in the dark, diabetes wise that is.    I went to bed the night before with a respectable 8.1 blood sugar.  I like to go to bed between 8.0 and 9.0 as it usually prevents a low in the night and almost always guarantees I wake up between 4.5 and 5.0.  Not yesterday!  

I woke up, checked my sugar and it was 8.8.  Not too bad but unusual for me.  Got to work, bolused for my blueberries with yoghurt as usual.  Checked two hours later and was at 14.6.  As I was running at lunch did a conservative bolus of 1.5 units.  Checked blood sugar an hour later before my run and was at 15.0.  WTF?  I knew I should probably not run, but as I have mentioned before I am super stubborn and I wanted to get this blood sugar down.  My head was hurting somewhat because of the high, but I strapped on my shoes and off I went (totally off topic but it was 34 degrees with the humidex, damn it was hot!!).  Tested after the run and finally it had dropped to 7.8.  I bolused, with a slight correction, for my lunch.  Tested two hours later and I was at 12.0.  Still higher than it should be.  I was heading to the gym after work for a short bike and an hour of weights so I did not want to correct.  Finished my workout and was 5.6 before supper, perfect!  Had a salad and apple for supper and bolused accordingly.  Tested about three hours later before bed and was at 14.9, explains the headache and thirst.  I literally threw my hands in the air and cursed a lot.  I decided to correct with 1.5 units and figured that should at least bring me down to 10. Well the fun continued from there.  I went to bed to read and all of a sudden the pages got blurry and I started to shake.  Tested and was at 2.6 - only an hour before I had been over 14!  Choked back some glucose and a banana and lay shaking and sweating until the low passed.  By this time I was completely exhausted from a day of unpredictable and unexplainable sugar patterns.  

Woke up this morning at a lovely 5.5 and things have been good so far.  Not sure what was different about yesterday!  I think it is just diabetes way of reminding you that it is there and will sometimes do whatever it wants.  Frustrating to say the least.


2 comments:

  1. Crazy diabetes roller coaster indeed! Thankfully those days don't happen often because they are pretty nasty. And exhausting.

    I blame it on the crazy diabetes rabbit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that's crazy! That sounds very stressful!

    ReplyDelete