Tuesday 18 June 2013

Pre-Race Jitters

This coming Saturday I will be running my first race since being diagnosed Type 1 diabetic.  I am part of a team of ten runners running the Kananaskis 100 mile relay.  I am running leg two which is 16.5km on a slight incline.  I am ridiculously nervous.  I feel a bit of pressure as I am part of a team and don't want to let anyone down.  I used to run races a lot and am a bit nervous about how I will do.  I know I can do the distance, but also know I am nowhere near as fast as I used to be.  My PB for this distance is just shy of 1 hr 18 mins.  I will be happy to finish this one in 1 hr 30/40 minutes.  I have come to terms with the fact I am not as fast as I once was and I know that is a work in progress and will reach that level again.  Some pre-race nerves are a good thing and I believe often result in one pushing oneself a bit harder.  These nerves however are different and I know why...

DIABETES!  I am experiencing ridiculous fears about going low in the race and not recovering.  I have visions of running along and then falling into the bushes (seriously).  I keep reminding myself that I have experienced lows when running before and have always managed to treat and continue on my merry way.  Maybe the fact that this is a race and people are counting on me has added to my anxiety.  I have my plan for diabetes management set but keep doubting myself.  Just like any run that is over 10km I will set my basal rate back 50% an hour before I start.  I will start with a blood sugar around 9.0mmol and plan to take in about 30g of carbs during the run.  Ryan will be in a support vehicle so he will have all the extras I need for any emergency and I will stop to check my BS's halfway through.  I know I just need to relax, follow my plan and deal with any challenges if they come. 

I am hoping once I get my first race under my belt I can relax a bit and start to plan more races.  Any tips from you experienced diabetic runners out there for race day?

8 comments:

  1. You will rock it - I have no doubt. And well if something happens something happens. You will manage it the best you can! But nothing will happen! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Heather! I hope to report back all smiles :)

      Delete
  2. You got this honey.

    You have trained. You have a diabetes plan...and a diabetes back up plan.

    Trust your training. Trust your gut. And trust that, no matter what your blood sugar does out there, you will handle it.

    Looking forward to reading the race report. Tell Ryan to take lots of photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Celine and I will be sure to get lots of photos :)

      Delete
  3. You're totally going to be FIIIINE!
    If you go low, you'll have to deal with it and same thing for a high. That's what we're good at, managing on the fly :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your vote of confidence Scully!

      Delete
  4. You can totally do it!

    While it's not running specific, I find that when I get into a basketball game that is really competitive that my adrenaline surges and brings my blood sugar along with it. Made me think to remind you to watch for that on race day - unexpected higher than normal running BG's.

    And now I feel totally guilty for giving you another variable to worry about...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Scott! I have found that I will often go on the lower side while actually running and then have post run spikes. The plan is to run the plan and deal with any changes as they come :)

      Delete